"Talent and all that for the most part is nothing but hogwash. Any schoolboy with a little aptitude might very well draw better than I perhaps; but what he most often lacks is the tough yearning for realization, the teeth-grinding obstinacy and saying; even though I know I'm not capable of doing it, I'm still going to do it."
-M.C. Escher

Thursday, November 12, 2015

Back to normal... whatever that is.

I've missed the last couple of updates on the blog.  Mostly because I've had nothing to really show.  My mother-in-law gave me a set of acryl gouache paints to try out, and I've spent the last few days trying to wrap my head around them.  They do work really well with the watercolor, but they are also nothing like anything I've used before.

I've never used traditional gouache, so I have no reference point to compare the two.  What I can say about the acryl gouache (by Turner) is that they dry insanely fast.  So unlike oils and regular acrylics, if you don't nail the color on the palette, you don't really get to mix in other paint to adjust on the paper.  Which I think is a good thing.  It forces me to really think about what I'm doing.  Gouache is opaque, so it will cover up some errors in the painting, but it has it's limits.

I've also started working on my digital stuff again, as you saw in the end of InkTober.  I forgot how much I loved it, and I will certainly be showing some digital work here soon.  Until then, here is a shot of my work area, and the master study (Luis Royo) I'm currently working on.

No comments:

Post a Comment